The Facts of the Past
New life has begun at the historic Georgia Tucker Elementary School. The site has been completely restored and returned to its grandeur and is now an assisted living community – The Gardens at Georgia Tucker. The building is located in the heart of the Garden District in Monroe. The school was built in 1920 on land donated by Colonel Frank P. Stubbs in honor of his mother, Georgia Tucker Stubbs. Georgia had a daughter who married Dr. Robert Layton and built the Layton Castle on South Grand so the family has quite an extensive connection to the Monroe area and its development.
The school is one of the last remaining examples of Mediterranean Revival architecture in northern Louisiana. The architecture style came into prominence in the 1920’s and 1930’s evolving from rekindled interest in Italian Renaissance palaces and seaside villas dating from the sixteenth century. This style is primarily found in California and Florida, typically multistory and based on a rectangular floor plan and features massive, symmetrical primary facades. Tile roofs, arches and keystones are also characteristics of this style. All the features can be seen in the architecture of Georgia Tucker Elementary School, which closed in 1999. The school board had planned to renovate the building and make it a central office, but those plans changed, allowing for this new opportunity.
The Gardens at Georgia Tucker officially opened in 2018. There are two phases. The former auditorium will be home to a large common area for visiting, entertaining, church services, movies and more. Residential rooms will be located off of the large school hallways. In the first phase, there will be 20 rooms- a mix of one bedroom, one bedroom deluxe and two bedroom apartments. Amenities include a beauty salon, bistro for catered meals, laundry facilities, ice cream parlor/bar area. There will also be a gorgeous garden area for residents to enjoy as well.
There are 40 more rooms planned for the second phase. The entire building will have a comfortable and homey feel, adding to the Garden District charm of the neighborhood.